INFORMATION ABOUT THE SRI LANKA ETA
About the ETA for Sri Lanka
The Sri Lanka ETA is an electronic travel authorization for travelers who wish to visit Sri Lanka for various purposes including tourism, transit and business. The ETA is issued through an online application system. It was introduced in January 2012 to simplify visa processes for citizens of the eligible countries who want to travel to Sri Lanka for short-term stays.
The Sri Lanka ETA can be obtained by completing a simple online application form. Applicants must provide their personal details, travel information and passport data.
The Tourist and Business ETA includes the following activities
The tourist ETA includes activities such as:
- Medical treatment including Ayurvedic (herbal)
- Participating in sporting events, competitions and activities related to cultural performance
- Sightseeing or holidaying
- Visiting friends and relatives
The Business ETA allows the holder to engage in activities such as:
- Conferences, Workshops And Seminars
- Participate In Art, Music And Dance Events
- Participate In Business Meetings And Negotiations
- Participate In Religious Events
- Participate In Symposiums
- Short Term Training Programs
Sri Lanka ETA Length of Authorized Stay and Validity
The ETA for Sri Lanka has a validity of 6 months from the moment of approval. Travelers can apply for the Sri Lanka online ETA at any time. If the departure date is later than six months, the approved ETA will be sent prior to the trip taking into consideration the arrival date.
- Tourist ETA: allows visitors to remain in Sri lanka for a maximum of thirty (30) days.
- Business ETA: grants visitors a maximum stay of thirty (30) days in Sri Lanka.
- Transit ETA: allows visitors to remain in Sri lanka for a maximum of two (2) days.
Passport Terms for the Sri Lanka ETA
Applicants must have a valid passport, which must be valid for a minimum of six months from the intended date of arrival. ETA holders are granted a 30-day stay at a port of entry in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka ETA for children
Children over 16 years of age or those who already have an individual passport must apply separately for an ETA.
Children under 16 years of age who are included in the parent's passport can travel to Sri lanka without the need for an individual ETA if they meet the following requirements:
- The child must be included in the parent/guardian’s passport.
- The details of the child must be included in the parent/guardian’s ETA.
Failure to obtain this authorization will result in a denied entry into Sri Lanka.
List of countries eligible to apply for an online ETA for Sri Lanka
Citizens and nationals from the countries listed below are eligible to apply online for a Sri Lanka ETA. Including India, China, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Maldives, Australia, Russian Federation, United States, Canada, and Japan.
A citizen with a valid passport from one of the eligible countries in this list can apply online here for an ETA to visit Sri Lanka.
Citizens from Seychelles and Singapore are exempt from the ETA and do not need to apply for one. The countries that cannot obtain an ETA for Sri Lanka are Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, Cambodia, and Nigeria.
Applicants are required to provide personal information and travel details. When completing the application, the traveler must use a passport with a minimum of six months validity from the intended date of arrival. The applicant’s passport must belong to an eligible country.
Requirements to enter Sri Lanka
On entry to Sri Lanka, eligible foreign citizens must present the following:
- A printout of the approved ETA for Sri Lanka
- A valid passport, the same that was used for the online application form
Upon arrival in Sri Lanka, all ETA holders will have to demonstrate:
- A return ticket (only when traveling by air)
- Evidence of sufficient funds to cover the expenses of the stay in Sri Lanka
- Citizens of the following countries must have a yellow fever vaccination certificate at the port of entry to Sri Lanka to comply with International health Regulations: Angola, Argentina, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Central African Republic, Chad, Colombia, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Gabon, French Guiana, Gambia, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Niger, Panama, Peru, Rwanda, Sudan, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Somalia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Togo, Tanzania, United Republic of Uganda, Venezuela.
Check Status for the Sri Lanka ETA Application
Once the applicant has submitted their online application, all ETA notifications and updates will be sent by email.
The processing time of a Sri Lanka ETA is within 24 hours. In some cases the process may take longer.
To check the status of your ETA application, please click here.
Online e-Visa Application for Sri Lanka
To apply online for an ETA for Sri Lanka, applicants must have a valid passport, email address, and a credit or debit card.
All of the information provided on the ETA application form, such as first and last names, place and date of birth, address, sex, passport number and nationality, must be exactly as they are written on the applicant’s passport.
All eligible applicants can click here to complete their Sri Lanka application online.