The sunniest and driest time in Sri Lanka is from January to March and this is the island’s busiest time for visitors. Tourism is booming, and the UAE, made up of several smaller states or emirates of which Dubai and Abu Dhabi are two, sees many of their people looking to enter Sri Lanka.
A Sri Lanka visa from the United Arab Emirates is either for tourism, business purposes or transit.
Do Emirati Citizens Need a Visa for Sri Lanka?
Yes, a Sri Lanka visa for Emirati citizens is required. Sri Lanka introduced an electronic system for processing visas for most nationalities in 2012. The visa is commonly known as the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA).
As a United Arab Emirate citizen traveling to Sri Lanka, you will be in need of one of two documents: either a visa or an ETA.
A Sri Lanka visa for Emiratis also applies to diplomatic and official passport holders. They must also follow the regular ETA application procedure for their personal visits.
What is the ETA?
The ETA for Sri Lanka is a travel authorization that allows you to enter a foreign country. However, it is simpler to apply for an ETA than a visa because the whole process can be done online from your computer or mobile device.
The process to apply for the Sri Lanka ETA for UAE citizens spares you having to stand in long queues upon arrival or to need to visit a Sri Lankan embassy or consulate.
Sri Lankan authorities want to know your purpose for visiting, and Sri Lanka visa requirements for Emiratis citizens means filling out the application form correctly. You will need to stipulate your purpose for being in the country from the following possible reasons:
- Visiting for tourism
- Visiting for business purposes – workshops, conferences, and seminars
- Anyone transiting through Sri Lanka
Types of ETA:
- For tourist purposes, the Sri Lanka Tourist ETA allows double entry for stays up to 30 days
- For business purposes, the Sri Lanka Business ETA permits double entry for stays of up to 20 days
- For transit, the Sri Lanka Transit ETA allows a single entry for up to 2 days within the airport
When Should UAE Citizens Apply for their ETA?</h2>
It is wise to apply for the ETA as soon as you have decided to travel to Sri Lanka. Your ETA will be electronically connected to your passport and is usually approved within 24 hours of application, however, it is advisable to apply with sufficient time beforehand in case extra documentation is required.
Documents Required for UAE Citizens to Get a Sri Lanka Visa
- Email address – the approved ETA will be sent to your email address in PDF format
- Passport – all applicants must have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival in Sri Lanka
- Debit or credit card to pay the Sri Lanka visa fee.
Once these documents are prepared, travelers can fill out the application form.
How Do I Apply for a Sri Lanka Visa from the United Arab Emirates?
The personal information that will be required includes:
- First names
- Country of Birth
For the Sri Lankan ETA for UAE citizens, travelers will be asked to provide an email address and pay the visa fee.
You will then receive your visa for Sri Lanka by way of email. The ETA is linked to your passport and should be printed and kept with you throughout your travels.