With the exception of citizens of 3 visa-free countries (the Maldives, Seychelles, and Singapore), all foreign travelers are required to get some kind of visa to meet the Sri Lanka entry requirements and travel to the country. The majority of passport holders are able to apply for a Sri Lankan visa online for short stays for tourism, business or transit purposes, providing they first meet the Sri Lanka visa requirements.
Those not eligible to apply for the Sri Lanka ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) online are required to get another type of visa from a Sri Lankan Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence. Depending on the purpose and length of the intended stay, this could be a Sri Lanka Business Visa, a Sri Lanka Tourist visa or another visa type.
Document Requirements for Sri Lankan ETA
Before applying for the Sri Lankan ETA online, eligible citizens must first meet the Sri Lanka visa requirements for documents. These involve having:
- An eligible passport valid for at least 6 months upon the intended entry date to Sri Lanka
- A current email address to which the Sri Lankan online visa will be sent
- A valid debit or credit card with which to pay the ETA Sri Lanka fee.
After completing the application and receiving the approved Sri Lankan ETA, travelers will need to meet some further Sri Lanka entry requirements by providing supporting documentation at the border. This involves presenting:
- A printed copy of the approved ETA Sri Lanka
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover the duration of the stay
- A confirmed return ticket to the applicant’s country of residence, or an onward ticket to a third destination
- Citizens of the following countries must have a yellow fever vaccination certificate at the port of entry to Sri Lanka to comply with International health Regulations: Angola, Argentina, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Central African Republic, Chad, Colombia, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Gabon, French Guiana, Gambia, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Niger, Panama, Peru, Rwanda, Sudan, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Somalia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Togo, Tanzania, United Republic of Uganda, Venezuela.
Personal Information Requirements
After meeting the Sri Lanka entry requirements for documents, it’s necessary for the applicant to complete the Sri Lanka visa application online with a range of personal and passport information. The total application only takes minutes to fill in, with the required data involving:
- First Name(s)
- Travel Document Number
- Passport Issue/Expiry Date
- Date of Birth
- Country of Birth
- Country of Citizenship
The Sri Lanka online visa is valid for a stay of up to 30 days for either tourism, transit or business purposes, with a total 6-month validity from the date of issue. Sri Lanka ETA holders who wish to stay for longer for touristic purposes are required to renew their visa once in the country and can get a Sri Lanka Tourist Visa for stays of up to 6 months.
Sri Lanka Visa Eligible Countries
Apart from citizens of the 3 Sri Lanka visa-exempt countries, there are a number of other cases that no do need to meet the Sri Lanka visa requirements, including:
- Citizens of Sri Lanka
- Those with dual citizenship of Sri Lanka and another country
- Those under the age of 21 born abroad to Sri Lankan parents, and whose birth was registered in Sri Lanka
- Passengers in transit to a third country who will leave Sri Lanka within 8 hours, who will have a ticket or evidence of their onward travel, and who will not leave the airport transit area
- Those with a SAARC Visa exemption endorsement in their passport.
Excluding this list and the citizens of 21 countries who are obliged to get a visa in advance from a Sri Lankan Embassy or Consulate, passport holders of all of the following countries are eligible to apply for the ETA, providing they first meet the Sri Lanka entry requirements: